The Guide to Ship Auto Parts Internationally
Are you a car enthusiast who is trying to give your car a new look? Do you want to import some auto parts required for your cars? Let’s look at what are the easy ways of shipping auto parts overseas with the focus on Air Freight.
Since most of the time, the mode used for shipping auto-part is an Air service. It is for urgent repairs and for those who are car enthusiasts. Especially those who like to fix the modified part into their vehicle asap to drive away on the road. In this guide, you will learn the right process of shipping auto parts by air and how to calculate the Air Freight.
Why Air Service for Shipping Auto Parts?
These car parts are high-value objects and are time-sensitive goods. There’s no other mode preferable other than Air. Especially, when the transit time is the key and also the protection of the good is vital.
Here are few features which make Air service valuable for you to ship your auto parts:
What do Air services offer?
It usually depends on which kind of car parts you want to ship. If they are small like it is not that large to need a container, thus, it is better to opt for the Airfreight service.
Apart from that, Air shipment has the following benefits:
• It is the fastest shipping mod
• No other mode is reliable as air service especially departure and arrival time
• You can virtually sir ship your cargo anywhere
• It has a low insurance premium which leads you to do big savings
• It provides top-quality security and a reduction in the risk of theft or damage.
• You don’t need much packaging
• And, on top of everything you can track your cargo anywhere because of digitalization
The most important of all is to know what the packing essentials for your auto parts are. So, here are the important instructions for you to effectively pack your auto parts.
What are Packaging Essentials and containers suitable for shipping auto parts overseas?
You have various options available for packing the auto parts. It is often a choice of the consignee and the shipper to select the material and the method of packing. There could be many reasons for you to ship an auto part. Either you are sending it for a repair or you are sending it to a friend or even sell it.
But whatever could be the reason for your shipping, you must know that there is a special method of doing so. It is at least in the case of packaging, So, let’s read some vital instructions in this regard.
What is the material required for packing securely your auto parts?
You need, the box, protections, bubble paper, cardboard shavings, or pieces of Styrofoam. You can also use a shawl if you want to make an extra assurance of the content that you are going to send.
You’ve got the material? Good enough, let’s get further to the process, the process you just can’t afford to miss:
- All metal parts with sharp edges and corners it is important that they are perfectly padded. It is important to do so to prevent them from scratching the box or even breaking it.
- If your auto part can move, break or split, then you should use a container. It is for example, a small box that is properly padded. it is to ensure its safe shipment.
- All the labels that you are going to place inside the package, adhere them on the flat parts of the pieces. They should never be on any curved or round part because it will surely come off.
- If the piece that you are going to send usually contains some fluid or liquid, make sure to empty it completely. Preferably that it can be totally dry to avoid any type of spillage during transit.
- Take into account that if it moves, breaks, or comes off. Some companies charge extra on delayed shipment. It is for handling the merchandise. Avoid this type of unnecessary expense by properly packing all the materials.
Let’s see examples of packing various auto parts:
We’ll individually because each piece requires extra attention
Packaging of tires
For the tires, it is not necessary that you put them in a box. Here the most important thing is that you put some shallow ones on them and give it several turns. Then make sure to correctly seal the closure of the material with some adhesive tape. It is to resist all the movement.
Flexible or flying plate packing
Put such Auto parts in the box. Then wrap them with some plastic. Then inside the box put some material that helps fill the empty spaces. Such as the case of Styrofoam. You can also use the famous “chetos” that help immobilize the materials. In case of heavy cargo, do stick labels of “Heavy” on the box.
Packaging of doors, hoods, car panels, and decorative parts
Here you also have to secure with protective material. All those parts that may be susceptible to damage with a scratch or gap need protection within their box.
Packaging of flexible plastic moldings
Being flexible they are more exposed to damage especially, during transportation. If possible, fold them and put them in a box.
Shock Absorber and Coil Springs Packaging
The pieces that have cylinder shapes must go in protected boxes. Put pads at the ends and plastic, cardboard, or Styrofoam balls to prevent their movement. In the case of springs, you must tie them correctly. and delivered to the shipping company with a special label so they are separated.
Packaging of molding
They are irregular in shape. Thus, they are wrapped in plastic that perfectly adapts to their shape. They should be properly sealed, and thus ready for shipment. Also, if there is a cardboard box that can contain it, it is worth sending it there.
Packaging of counterbars, A-arms, exhaust parts, leaf springs
They also have irregular shapes. But, due to the nature of the material in which they are made, they are usually very resistant. The edges of each of these pieces need protection. You can use wood fiber panels, plastic film or bags, protective foam, or bubble wrap. Later, you should fasten them with adhesive tape.
Packing transmissions or engines
For the materials, the most important thing is that they are drained perfectly. As a precaution, it is essential that absorbent pads are placed on all valves. It is for preventing any residue spillage that may occur while transporting.
After the pads, wrap all exposed parts with some protective material. If you have a container, it should also be strapped down in such a way that it will not move or shift during shipping.
These examples would help you to understand packaging for automotive parts.
Don’t forget to place a label inside the box. And the other in the widest and flat part of your package with the correct data. It is to ensure that it reaches its destination.
How to Calculate Air Freight?
The costs of the shipping are not fixed because they vary from origin to destination and. They keep changing as well. The main factors which help in deriving cost for the air freight are:
1. The type of Cargo
You also need to provide the Volume of your cargo to find out the cost. We have an easy guide for you to find “How Much does Air Freight Cost?”
How to Deal with Customs and Duties?
You can’t ship your goods across without the permission of the country of origin or the destination. Thus, there are certain processes you have to go through. You must need at least a few documents to get the clearance:
- Packing list
- Bill of lading
- Export declaration
Furthermore, you must have obtained an importer declaration form from the consignee.
Make sure you have these documentations. You won’t have any trouble importing or exporting car parts this way. Although the product doesn’t matter either it is a car part or any other, the process remains the same. You can read this easy and detailed guide about the Customs process here.
Now let’s see the live example that how to ship car parts overseas.
How to Ship Car Parts? Here is an end-to-end process for you.
This shipping process is a general one. But only the HS code is changed in the commercial invoice according to the invoice.
Here is the step-by-step process for you to ship the car parts.
- The importer orders the parts from a supplier
- The buyer obtains the pro-foma invoice which is like a quote
- Buyer provides the purchase order
- The buyer will arrange a freight forwarder for him for transportation
- The freight forward would confirm the incoterm with the buyer and supplier
- Letter of credit needs approval from the bank.
- The manufacturing of the parts begins
- Supplier brings the buyer order or commercial invoice
- Freight forwarder contacts their overseas partner to arrange the movement of the goods.
- Agent contacts the supplier locally to arrange the movement of the freight.
- Supplier provides all the documents required to export. The freight forwarder will handle them on the behalf of the buyer.
- With the documentation in order, the supplier books the shipment for export
- Bill of lading should be brought because the buyer will need the celler.
- You need to get the auto parts cleared by the customs
- Suppliers complete the export declaration.
- Only then the auto parts are in place at the international transit
- The buyer needs to get import clearance as the auto parts arrive.
- The cleared goods are finally delivered to the buyer.
How can a Freight forwarder help you in Automobile Shipping?
Freight forwarders will help you in various ways. Their most important characteristic is that they simplify the logistics process for you. You can track your shipment of auto parts at any time of transit by real-time tracking services.
You can’t afford to delay your shipping. And this is not possible with traditional freight services. Freight forwarders would save your time by letting you book your ship with a single click. It can also provide you with real-time visibility of the whole process.